Monday, September 21, 2009

Second Try - C3 Longing

Hey!

I managed to pass the C-3 longing retest this weekend with very good marks and almost an exceed standard. Jazz was not fed any sugar cubes and was very well behaved. Actually acted like a trained pony this time around. The only reason I did not receive an exceed standard mark, got a check plus instead, was because I attached my side reins in the non-classical way. I have always attached the inside first, then the outside side rein then stepped around their nose to start longing. The correct way, which makes total sense, is to attach the outside rein first, then the inside so that if a horse starts looking like it will back up or think about going up, you can send them on immediately without having to step around their noses.

That afternoon, I also got a separate lesson in longing to further dressage training with Jazz. We also talked a lot about correcting training problems on the longe line. It was really really informative and fun as well!

Side note, Jazz and I are hopefully getting a new dressage trainer (we've been without a consistent one since about early June) and I'm really really excited to see how much she can teach us. She's a great coach that has brought plenty of young horses and riders along to even the highest level of dressage competition. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment